[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS-info digest, Vol 1 #406 - 2 msgs

Steve Burling srb@umich.edu
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 14:06:57 -0500

--On Sunday, December 9, 2001 01:09 MET "Prof. Thomas Stricker"
<tomstr@inf.ethz.ch> wrote:
> 2. How do I restrict the AFS world visible in the /afs mount point
>    of my client to a reasonable subset of all afs sites in the
>    world.

The approach that several of us here at the University of Michigan have
taken for this is to mount my volume (user.srb) as /afs, and then to create
mount points in my volume for the root cell of those cells I'm interested
in.  So I have (ThisCell is 'umich.edu'):

'engin.umich.edu' is a mount point for volume
'#engin.umich.edu:root.cell.readonly'
'lsa.umich.edu' is a mount point for volume
'#lsa.umich.edu:root.cell.readonly'
'umich.edu' is a mount point for volume '#root.cell.readonly'

This has the additional nice side effect that paths like

    /afs/umich.edu/<whatever>

still work properly.  I have set my Mac OS X uid to be the same as my pts
id, and most things in the GUI seem to work quite nicely.

                                             -- Steve

Steve Burling                                    <mailto:srb@umich.edu>
University of Michigan, ICPSR                    Voice: +1 734 998.9873
311 Maynard Street                               FAX:   +1 734 998.9905
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2211