[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS-info digest, Vol 1 #406 - 2 msgs

Ted Anderson ota@transarc.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:50:16 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:31:58 -0500 Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> >This is a very cool idea!  It gives the user/client (or returns to
> >him) full control of his file system namespace.  I view this as one
> >of the philosophical weaknesses of the global naming architectures
> >used by AFS and DFS.
>
> I've always felt this was one of the huge STRENGTHS of
> AFS/DFS... there are so many hacks in the NFS universe (e.g., the
> automounter) to give you the same thing, but with AFS you get it for
> free.

I absolutely agree that a global namespace that is the same everywhere
is a powerful advantage provided by AFS/DFS.  I prefer it, however, as a
crucial *convention* rather than as an architectural requirement.
Otherwise, the administration of the contents of /afs is unscalable.

Ted