[OpenAFS] How much is ready?

David J. M. Karlsen david@davidkarlsen.com
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 00:01:22 +0100

Cees de Groot wrote:

>Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> said:
>
>>>-Does ASF mmap the RVM such as coda?
>>>
>>I'm not familiar enough with Coda to know what you're asking.
>>
>RVM is the persistence system that Coda uses for metadata. The disadvantage of
>the system is that the size of the metadata is severely limited because it is
>mapped into virtual memory - therefore, Coda doesn't (yet) support very large
>filesystems like AFS does (it is the main reason that I didn't look further
>into Coda).

Yup - so I dropped it and therefore I'm checking out AFS - which seems
like a good alternative.

But: What's the maximum volumesize? (and does serversize scale with
volsize in any way?)

And it really doesn't support disconnected operation yet? Are there any
other open/free AFS implementations which do? Is disconnected mode
planned to be implemented in some feasable time?