[OpenAFS] linux 2.4 and openafs

Jeremy Katz katzj@linuxpower.org
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:59:31 -0800

--gw4vLALk08fVJy3V

On Monday, February 05 2001, David Brumley said:
> I just compiled openafs for the redhat beta (fisher) 2.4 kernel
> (2.4.0-0.99.11).  The compile aborted at kdump.c:241 with error
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.0/include/linux/string.h:18: parse error before
> `__extension__`

kdump can't be built with gcc 2.96-RH.  Either patch the makefiles to
build with kgcc or don't build it all (I'm taking the latter approach :)
=20
> however, the kernel module did compile. I loaded the module and
> started up afs, but what was under /afs was a mirror of my root
> directories.  I.e. ls /afs showed:
> /proc /root /etc
> etc.
>=20
> anyone ever seen this before?

This is due to changes in the inode struct in the 2.4ac kernels.  Is
there any reason why struct vnode isn't just defined to be the same as
an inode?  It seems to be a duplication which leads to problems
regularly but without any real reason behind it as far as I can tell.
I'll test with a define tonight and try to clean up the rest of the
patches I have to get AFS relatively happy on the fisher kernel as well.

Jeremy

--=20
Jeremy Katz
katzj@linuxpower.org	| jlkatz@eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D

--gw4vLALk08fVJy3V

--gw4vLALk08fVJy3V--