[OpenAFS] R/W replication

Dirk Heinrichs heinrichs@qis-systemhaus.de
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:34:42 +0100

Nathan Neulinger wrote:
>=20
> Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> >
> > Nathan Neulinger wrote:

> > > That logic is fine so long as the volume is truly "down"... But wha=
> > > happens if it's just inaccessible on the network. A lot of people d=
> > > replicas geographically distributed, in which case, that condition =
will
> > > be relatively common.
> > It could be optional, on a per volume basis.
> >
> > Bye...
>=20
> Right, but what do you do in that circumstance?
>=20
> [client a][server b] ---/  /--- [client c][server d]
>=20
> if you have rw replicates on both servers, and the link between fails -
> a and b think they are fine, and c and d think they are fine. Who takes
> over as master? And what tells the other server that it is no longer
> master.
Ok, if it is the link that fails, and not one of the servers, you are
right. You would need some kind of conflict resolution. I wonder how the
Coda folks solved this. They support both disconnected operation and rw
replication. I think they use some kind of transaction processing
system, similar to  databases. Would be nice to hear from some practical
experience with this (maybe I'll have to ask on their mailinglist).

Bye...

	Dirk
--=20
Dirk Heinrichs		| Tel:	+49 (0)241 413 260
QIS Systemhaus GmbH	| Fax:	+49 (0)241 413 2640
J=FClicher Str. 338b	| Mail:	heinrichs@qis-systemhaus.de
D-52070 Aachen		| Web:	http://www.qis-systemhaus.de