[OpenAFS] Basic newbie question...

Corey Kovacs ckovacs@DEPAUW.EDU
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:32:12 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_sIYnilouv9n/GP2CSAsbvQ)

This is going to sounds really dumb to all of you "in the know"

but here goes... What is the difference between using AFS with

kerberos, and without? It is my _basic_ understanding that AFS

uses the same or similar methods to authenticate users. So what

I am guessing is that the difference is that it can be incorporated

if a kerberos system ius already in place. ie, you don't _need_

kerberos.

If the above assuption about not _needing_ kerberos is true, are

their any benefits to using AFS _with_ kerberos?

Also I want to set up AFS to do authentication and LDAP to

handle authorization. Are their any real caveats to doing this?

I am posting any questions directly redarding setting ldap up to

the openldap list as it doesn't have anything to do with this list

obviously, but if someone has/is doing this, I'd appreciate any info

you can give me.

Thanks!

--
Corey Kovacs               "I know not with what weapons World War III
Computer Science Dept.      will be fought, but World War IV will be

--Boundary_(ID_sIYnilouv9n/GP2CSAsbvQ)

<pre>This is going to sounds really dumb to all of you "in the know"</pre>

<pre>but here goes... What is the difference between using AFS with</pre>

<pre>kerberos, and without? It is my _basic_ understanding that AFS</pre>

<pre>uses the same or similar methods to authenticate users. So what</pre>

<pre>I am guessing is that the difference is that it can be incorporated</pre>

<pre>if a kerberos system ius already in place. ie, you don't _need_</pre>

<pre>kerberos.</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>If the above assuption about not _needing_ kerberos is true, are</pre>

<pre>their any benefits to using AFS _with_ kerberos?</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>Also I want to set up AFS to do authentication and LDAP to</pre>

<pre>handle authorization. Are their any real caveats to doing this?</pre>

<pre>I am posting any questions directly redarding setting ldap up to</pre>

<pre>the openldap list as it doesn't have anything to do with this list</pre>

<pre>obviously, but if someone has/is doing this, I'd appreciate any info</pre>

<pre>you can give me.</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>Thanks!</pre>

<pre></pre>

<pre>--&nbsp;
Corey Kovacs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "I know not with what weapons World War III
Computer Science Dept.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; will be fought, but World War IV will be
DePauw University.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; fought with sticks and stones."
765.658.4761&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - Albert Einstein</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--Boundary_(ID_sIYnilouv9n/GP2CSAsbvQ)--