[OpenAFS] A general overview?

Peter Schuller peter.schuller@infidyne.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 02:31:20 -0500

> > So I'm generally lost. Where do I start?
> > [...]
> > Is there any HOWTO style dokument or something I can read?
>
> Try IBM/Transarc's documentation for AFS:
> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/afs/docs/html/
>
> "IBM AFS Quick Beginnings" tells you how to setup a new cell.

Thanks!

I've read it, along with alrge parts of the admin guide. I think I've got it
down pretty well, assuming OpenAFS doesn't diverge too much from the
commercial AFS. That is, for the parts that apply.

I am still completely clueless when it comes to kerberos authentication
though (and hence, am more or less unable to try stuff because I can't get
going). Before I can even set up a cell (and I'm still not sure exactly what
needs to be done to "initliaze" the cell), I need to get authentication
going. There's talk about Kerberos realms, which makes sense, but I find no
kerberos related stuff beyon a* version of the AFS utilities - I see no
central kerberos handling stuff - so how is a "realm" managed?

Is there any documentation (even if only 50 lines worth) on this?

So there's aklog and asetkey and supposedly some other stuff (such as
atokens) which doesn't seem to be part of OpenAFS. I'm still at the
"now what?" stage though. The IBM guides do a thorough job indeed, but
since the details are not applicable to OpenAFS (OpenAFS doesn't include the
exact same set of tools for example) I'm not sure what to do exactly in my
particular environment (Debian, OpenAFS).

Also, the guide mentions kerberos/afs PAM modules. That's the perfect
solution; but I can't find any. Are there any such modules available? It
doesn't seem to be part of OpenAFS, at any rate.

(If I sound confused, it's because I am. Everything I read makes sense, but
the hands-on practical matters that needs to get done are still a fuzzy
cloud... It's as if I've read a 50 k page book on the theory behind cars but
I still don't know how to drive.)

PGP userID: 0x5584BD98 or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.infidyne.com
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://scode.infidyne.com