[OpenAFS] A general overview?

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:41:51 -0500

>I am still completely clueless when it comes to kerberos authentication
>though (and hence, am more or less unable to try stuff because I can't get
>going). Before I can even set up a cell (and I'm still not sure exactly what
>needs to be done to "initliaze" the cell), I need to get authentication
>going. There's talk about Kerberos realms, which makes sense, but I find no
>kerberos related stuff beyon a* version of the AFS utilities - I see no
>central kerberos handling stuff - so how is a "realm" managed?

I'll be the first to admit that Kerberos is not a simple system ... so trying
to get that going with AFS at the same time can be "challenging" (read:
damn near impossible).

If you're new to both AFS and Kerberos ... _maybe_ you would be best served
by ignoring a seperate Kerberos setup right now and simply get AFS up
and running with the Kerberos that comes with it (kaserver and friends).
I'm speaking as someone who came to AFS and Kerberos completely cold
only a few years ago, so I still remember the pain of learning it all :-)
It's not that hard to upgrade to Kerberos 5 once you've got AFS in place.

--Ken