[OpenAFS] data encryption

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
04 Jan 2001 14:40:03 -0500

Bill,

Unfortunately there is no standard API to obtain IPSec credentials.
Sure, different implementation _may_ decide to supply an API, but then
you'd have to figure out what IPSec implementation you are using and
code specifically to that.  However the fact remains that most
implementations DO NOT supply application-level access to SA creds.

Sure, we could standardize an API.  But first we'd have to come up
with one, and then we'd have to go through the process of
standardizing it.  Oh, yea, then we'd have to wait for it to get
implemented.  So I suppose in 2005 we might have this available...

But we're talking about the here and now, making changes to subsystems
that we control.  I'm not going to wait until Micro$oft decides they
want to support a (not-yet-created) standard API to access IPSec SA
credentials.  I'd rather get AFS encrypting now, thank you very much.

-derek