[OpenAFS] AFS-Client behind masquerading firewall

Robert Banz banz@umbc.edu
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 15:32:15 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Jim Rees wrote:

>   A slightly different twist -- on our campus, we have dual-boot linux/NT
>   boxes in our labs, which all run AFS.  Due to this problem of having "two
>   clients" on the same IP, we run into servers getting confused all fo the
>   time.
>
> We do this too and have never noticed a problem.  If you reboot a client,
> the server might try to return a callback that the (rebooted) client knows
> nothing about, but it just gets ignored.  What sort of problems do you have?

What we're seeing is when you boot into NT (from a client that was
previously booted to linux), access to one or some fileservers will 'time
out', while 'rcallbackconnectback failed' messages will appear in the
fileserver's log for that particular IP.  Booting back into linux and
coming back into NT will clear the problem, as well as restarting the
fileserver.  It's happened with various version of 3.5 & 3.6 nt & linux
client code and 3.5 server code.

Robert Banz (banz@umbc.edu)
UMBC Office of Information Technology
(410) 455-3933  fax: (410) 455-1065