[OpenAFS] AFS Authentication with PAM

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:48:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> Presumably you also need to change the name service switch to get
> information that isn't maintained by Kerberos (such as the user's home
> directory and shell) from a distributed database.  You will need to run
> something like LDAP or NIS for this.  Take a look at /etc/nsswitch.conf.

NIS is partially broken, at least in Redhat 6.2.  Near as I've been
able to tell it fails to consult /etc/passwd for allowed and disallowed
users.  Any user that exists in the NIS passwd database is allowed to
login.  This even if no + entry exists that includes them, and even if
an explicit - entry exists that disallows them.

I'm very interested in hearing if anyone has found a solution for this,
or if it's been fixed in a newer version.  Right now we're figuring the
solution is to get rid of NIS...

-Mitch