[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on MacOS X

Patrick J. LoPresti patl@curl.com
10 Jul 2001 14:16:31 -0400

Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> writes:

> This problem comes up over and over.  I am inclined to put a dirty
> hack in to the stat op that would fake up the stat info for anything
> in /afs.  Most anything that stats these entries just wants to know
> whether it's a file or a directory, and it's always a directory.
> This could be made optional on a per-client basis.

Are you sure the OS X Finder does not look for files *inside* each
directory for information about what icon to display?  I am pretty
sure it does this at least for some directories, since "bundles" of
files within a directory is the new replacement for resource forks.

One side piece of vaguely related trivia: The OS X Finder will
deliberately avoid chasing a symbolic link if the sticky bit is set on
it.  For the UFS and HFS+ file systems, at least, Darwin has the
symlink inherit the permissions of the containing directory; there is
no lchmod() system call.

While I am here, I have a related question.  If I have an AFS volume
mounted on a mount point, and I stat() it, do I end up talking to the
file server which hosts the volume?  Or do I just talk to the file
server for the volume which includes the mount point?  I am trying to
decide how to lay out an AFS tree, and the presence of Finders and
Explorers and such means I have to care about this question.

 - Pat