[OpenAFS] Mapping drives on Windows, avoiding NET USE

James Peterson jimpeter@us.ibm.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:20:05 -0700

I'm looking into fixing Global Drive mapping for Win2k.
Win9x has been patched so it supports global drive mapping also.  That is,
you can start the SMB Cache Manager without needing to do an authenication.

Would the following changes fix the problems with large scale
installations?
   Win2k - fix global drive mappings
   AFS Installation script looks for a files afsdcell.ini & afsdsbmt.ini to
   default its drive and cell mapping.

I suggest we would add %username% as a special field in afsdsbmt.ini;  this
would be a substitute for the user login name, the substitution could
either be done at the time of installation or at the time of each window's
login.  I would like your feedback on what's best (the easiest is to do the
substitution at installation time)?

I would add to afsdbmt.ini:
[CELLNAME]
cellname=yourcellname

During installation CELLNAME would be used.

During installation; if afsdcell.ini and afsdsbmt.ini are already present
(re-install) they won't be overwriten unless requested.

The above changes will not help those who cannot use the Win2k service to
authenicate and map drives; such as, Kerbos 5 and the requirement to use
aklog.

NOTE:   Install Shield has a silent setup.   Thoes responsible for
installation can run through the record stage, which builds a auto response
file.    The installation with its response file can be distributed.  By
selecting setup.exe -s Install Shield will run thourgh the installation
process without any response necessary.

NOTE: Computer name would not required as it is internal to the AFS service
and is only needed if you use Net Use.

NOTE: The 12 character limit for computer name is part of windows
limitation on share names.   We need to append "-afs" to the name so the
AFS SMB cache manager knows what messages belong to it.  There has been a
long conversation about having a fixed machine name for AFS clients;
however, there has not been any concensus about that yet.

James Peterson
"Integrity is the base of excellence."