[OpenAFS] NetBIOS on Win2K won't ReEnable

James Peterson jimpeter@us.ibm.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:24:40 -0700

There seems to be a problem with NetBios over TCP/IP and Un-Install AFS.

1.  With the latest patch of Win 2000 you shouldn't have to worry about
choosing the proper LANA # and I recommend you not doing it.  Once you
choose a LANA number you either have to un-install AFS or remove the
registry entry :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\TransarcAFSDaemon\LANadapter

2. NetBEUI, NetBios and AFS - Usually installing NetBEUI works well with
AFS Win2k.  However, it seems the un-installation of AFS does damage to
NetBios over TCP/IP.  So if you don't want to install NetBEUI you need be
careful.   As yet, the only solution is:

   Remove AFS (via Install/Remove Programs)
   Remove all network services and clients
   Remove TCP/IP protocol
   Reboot Win 2000
   Install network services, clients, and TCP/IP
   Install AFS
   Reboot

You can test the health of NetBios over TCP/IP by either doing nbtstat -n
or ipconfig  -all.

You can still install NetBEUI after all this if you want.   For example, if
you can't get SAMBA shares to work.

If this doesn't work take two aspirin and e-mail me in the morning.

James Peterson
"Integrity is the base of excellence."