[OpenAFS] Providing Openafs Support

Sam Hartman hartmans@mekinok.com
26 Jul 2001 11:13:38 -0400

    Jeffrey> On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
    >> On 2 Jul 2001, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >>
    >> > Also, as discussed at the AFS BOF last week, we believe it
    >> would be a > good idea to set up a community support web site.
    >> On this web site, > companies could indicate their interest in
    >> providing commercial AFS > support and briefly describe
    >> themselves and their capabilities.  In > addition, providing
    >> information about what services potential customers > would be
    >> interested in would help support providers better meet the >
    >> needs of the community.  Would this be appropriate content for
    >> > openafs.org or central.org?
    >>
    >> If it's OpenAFS specific it would be logical for openafs.org,
    >> but I think there may be a market for Arla support, in which
    >> case the more general central.org site probably makes
    >> sense. Jeff?

    Jeffrey> Hm.  I hadn't thought of this, but it seems like a
    Jeffrey> resonable idea.  I'm not sure what the right approach is;
    Jeffrey> perhaps Sam and others who are interested in either
    Jeffrey> providing or buying AFS support could comment?

I'd think that you want to host the support page on central.org
because people will probably want to provide support for Arla and
other products.  However, I think you also want to have a link from
the appropriate place on openafs.org to GCO's support resources page.
GCO is currently not as well linked as openafs.org, and if you're
installing Openafs it's not currently clear that you should ever touch
GCO from the existing website.