[OpenAFS] 1.1.0 client on RH 7.1

Jan Hrabe hrabe@balrog.aecom.yu.edu
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:12:27 -0400

On Thursday 26 July 2001 15:39, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Jan> While I agree it is nice to fit the file location pattern of
>     Jan> the platform, we should perhaps keep in mind all the other
>     Jan> platforms AFS runs on. My AIX and Solaris machines have also
>     Jan> AFS clients and need to use various AFS scripts. From this
>     Jan> point of view, it is much easier to do so if locations are
>     Jan> identical on all of them. There may be sites living in
>     Jan> Linux-only world but often it's not so easy. Symbolic links
>     Jan> to the necessary files seem like a nice solution. The links
>     Jan> could point the other way though (from /usr/afsws/bin/blah to
>     Jan> /bin/blah) for higher backwards compatibility.
>
> Have a reasonable PATH that is set correctly for your arch, build your
> own openafs, or depend on the compat packages.

What is so bad about the links pointing the way I suggested?
Building from source is what we are doing now and it looks like
the way to go for our site. Someone mentioned building alternative
packages with the traditional paths. Would it be feasible to distribute
those as well on the openafs FTP server as aternatives?

>     Jan> As for the server, I don't see any need for RPM, especially
>     Jan> for upgrades (at least for us). bos install and the update
>     Jan> server work quite nicely so it's really just a single machine
>     Jan> for each platform that needs the manual update. Putting the
>     Jan> server files in "system" place like /usr/sbin does not seem
>     Jan> like a good solution for the upserver file distribution.  Am
>     Jan> I missing something?
>
> Yes.  You're missing all the sites that are considering installing AFS
> for the first time and want something simple that fits their existing
> model.
>
> Certainly no one should force you to use the server rpms or debs or
> AIX packages or whatever, but they are likely to be useful for many
> sites.

By all means. My point was that the upserver works, AFAIK, with the
directories. If you put the server programs in /usr/sbin then the
upserver would probably try to distribute that whole directory.
You could of course give up upclient/upserver in favour of RPM
but that would be giving up functionality.

Honza