[OpenAFS] OpenAFS - Transarc compatibility

Charles Karney ckarney@sarnoff.com
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 11:34:54 -0400 (EDT)

I recall reading a commitment that OpenAFS and Transarc will remain "wire"
compatible.  I take this to mean and a mixed

    {OpenAFS,Transarc}/{client,server}

works.

I'm also interested in understanding whether this compatibility extends to
switching between OpenAFS and Transarc on a client or a server (on a given
platform).  This will inevitably come up as people transition from Transarc
to OpenAFS.

On the client side this would mean two things:

* does running a Transarc command (e.g., fs) on an OpenAFS client work and
  vice-versa?

* are the contents of the cache meaningful when switching systems?

On the server side this means that the following would need to be
interchangeable:

* the files in /usr/afs/db;

* the contents of /usr/afs/etc;

* the server partitions /vicepa;

* AFS backups tapes;

* AFS backup configuration files (tapeconfig, CFG_*);

* the format of vos dump/vos restore.

I suspect that the current answers to these questions is probably yes, but
that this may not always remain true in the future.

Is there any official policy on these compatibility issues?

Thanks.

--
Charles Karney			Email:	ckarney@sarnoff.com
Sarnoff Corporation		Phone:	+1 609 734 2312