[OpenAFS] Setting owner (as AFS user/group) on directories

Charles Karney ckarney@sarnoff.com
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 19:32:18 -0400 (EDT)

 > From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
 > Date: 29 Jul 2001 19:26:41 -0400
 >
 > "Charles Karney" <ckarney@sarnoff.com> writes:
 >
 > > This also brings up another point, namely that the OWNER field in
 > >
 > >     chown OWNER file
 > >     chown OWNER directory
 > >
 > > mean completely different things.  In the first case OWNER is a Unix user
 > > and in the second case OWNER is an AFS user.  Given also that
 >
 > Negative.  Both are always an "AFS user" however the local (client) OS
 > may interpret the AFS user as a local (unix) user in the case of,
 > e.g., setuid programs.

OK.  But I don't think that AFS does ANYTHING with the owner of the file.
It's always up to the client to interpret it.  And the only substantial use
the client makes of it is for setuid programs.

(Actually, this isn't true, the client may also use it to figure out who
wrote the file, and in that case it IS the AFS user that counts.)

So maybe

    fs setowner

should apply to files and will then offer clients the opportunity to look
up owners/groups in the AFS space.

		 --Charles