[OpenAFS] Setting the setacl on newly created volumes

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:02:19 -0400 (EDT)

On 29 Jul 2001, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Jeffrey> Either of these are hard, but not impossible.  They will
>     Jeffrey> require a new variant of the AFSVolCreateVolume RPC,
>     Jeffrey> allowing the owner and/or initial ACL to be specified.
>     Jeffrey> They will also require vos or the volserver to perform
>     Jeffrey> PTS lookups, which in turn means additional dependencies
>     Jeffrey> during the build and when setting up a new cell.
>     Jeffrey> ACL-parsing introduces some additional work, in the form
>     Jeffrey> of parsing the ACL on the command line and producing some
>     Jeffrey> suitable structure for use over the wire (FWIW, the
>     Jeffrey> existing 'fs sa' command does _not_ do any of this --
>     Jeffrey> ACL's are sent to the fileserver in a mostly-text format,
>     Jeffrey> and it handles all the name lookups as well as conversion
>     Jeffrey> to the format actually used on disk).
>
> Any good reason why vos couldn't just make the fileserver RPC that fs
> setacl uses?

Because 'fs' never makes RPC's -- it only makes calls to the cache
manager, which does operations based on a fid.  I suppose you could
arrange things so that the 'vos' command constructs an appropriate fid and
calls the fileserver directly, but I'm not sure it's a good idea (or even
possible, in the current structure) to introuce a dependency in volser on
the fileserver interface.

-- Jeff