[OpenAFS] bosserver cron and signal 13

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 12:48:06 -0600

I remember having this problem myself... I eventually switched backupsys
to just use the system cron.

I went to try this and see if I can reproduce the problem to track
down/come up with a fix, but have now been unable to reproduce it with
openafs cvs.

Is it happened for you with ANY cron job? Can you come up with a way to
reproduce symptom with current openafs? If we can come up with a way to
reproduce symptom, I should be able to fix problem, even though transarc
didn't pass along the fix.

I did see this delta note in transarc release notes:

Defect 12625

    This fix resolves a condition that caused the 'vos backupsys'
command to fail when run by the bosserver a
s a cron job. On Linux, when the bosserver
    runs a process that tries to write to stdout/stderr, the process
receives a SIGPIPE and fails. Although t
his error appeared only on Linux, code changes
    were made on all platforms to prevent processes that are started by
the bosserver from writing to stdout/
stderr.

But that equivalent change has not been made in openafs, and I can't
reproduce problem.

-- Nathan