[OpenAFS] File locking in AFS

Thomas Vincent shetomv@pacbell.net
Wed, 07 Nov 2001 10:32:14 -0800

On 9/19/01 10:54 AM, "Thom Cherryhomes" <thomasc@apogeemm.com> wrote:

> This seems a bit nutty not to have byte-range locking.. I've seen it
> screw up things on the M$ side (ever try to run an old MS-DOS Btrieve
> application over AFS? not pretty...) Is AFS over going to support
> locking only parts of files?
>
> -Thom Cherryhomes
> OpenMINDS.TV

This has come up in the past. The general response I got was that it would
take some major tinkering with AFS to support byte-level locking. The work
around I came up with was to mount things via Samba off of AFS. (Samba has a
byte-level locking fork.)
The lack of byte-level locking is murder on multi-user Excel spread sheets.

Cheers,
Thomas Vincent