[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS-info digest, Vol 1 #359 - 6 msgs

James Peterson jimpeter@us.ibm.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 08:45:18 -0800

> The other problem I am having is with creating globally mapped drives. I
> want to create permanent network shares on the win2k machines for admin
use
> but the feature does not seem to work. If I add a drive (say N: at \afs)
> get no N: network drive showing up in "net use" output but I get a
> "Disconnected Network Drive (N:)" icon in My Computer that I can not
delete
> or disconnect with out uninstalling OpenAFS. Any idea how I can get rid
of
> these icons? Is this a broken option in the openafs client?

Currently Global drives is a broken option.

Description of "Disconnect Network Drive"

When a user logs off a Windows machine, the OS will 'remember' all drives
that were mapped.  When the same users logs back on to windows, the system
will connect all these 'remebered' drive mappings.  If the AFS service is
not running while Windows is trying to map a drive to an AFS defined share,
the mapping will fail and the connection is marked as "Disconnect Network
Drive".

You should remove this connection using NET USE command, then re-map the
drive after AFS Client service is running.  e.g. to remove the mapped drive
N:
               NET USE N: /D

You can then map N: drive to AFS share name using the AFS Client GUI.  This
drive mapping would be automatically be re-established when the user logs
back on.

Since the drive is mapped each time the user logs on to Windows, I'm not
sure what other features you are looking for by using Global Drive maps?
Are you using multi-user (server configuration)?

James Peterson
"Integrity is the base of excellence."