[OpenAFS] Very large caches

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:32:04 -0600

I've got a 15GB cache on our web server, and a 10GB one on our ftp
mirror server, both work pretty well, except they take quite a while to
scan at boot, even with the cache-subdir support. I haven't messed with
changing the chunk size, but I'd presume that would cut the time down
significantly, albeit at the expense of # of distinct files in the
cache. (I really need to get back to one of my to-do-list items about
reworking the dumpcache tools to build clean w/ openafs as well as
possibly merging them into fs.)

There is definately something nice about holding your entire web site
inside the cache. Definately appears to boost performance, especially
when you have local web indexing that would repeatedly flush out the
entire cache if it were small (300MB). I won't deploy any machine with
less than a 250MB cache if I can help it.

-- Nathan