[OpenAFS] mail spool on AFS

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:53:52 +0000

Hi Jason,

POP, IMAP, and "STMP" (I guess you meant SMTP) are all protocols
for handling email across a network.

However, if your email has been delivered to $HOME/.mail/mbox
and $HOME is in /afs then why do you need to use a network protocol
to access your mailbox?

Most Mail User Agents (eg mutt, mh, elm, netscape/mozilla mail)
can be configured to read right out of a mailbox file rather than
connecting to a POP, IMAP etc server. That's how I have accessed my email.

I have not used pine but in my experience, I have not seen any problems
of mail being lost with elm or netscape mail and a mailbox in /afs.

I confess, I don't understand why you have seen pine "clobber" a mailbox.
It does not sound like good MUA behaviour to me.
--
cheers
paul                            http://acm.org/~mpb