[OpenAFS] AFS without local authentication

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:58:54 -0500

>Yes, it is open-sourced, and has been since the late 80s.  Most
>of the relevant support is already in bind; the client libraries
>are available from ftp://athena-dist.mit.edu/pub/ATHENA/hesiod

But the really USEFUL bits (the part that glues it into your operating
system) don't seem to be available.  I never personally considered Hesiod
useful because it's not feasible to my mind to modify EVERY application
to make Hesiod calls instead of the traditional getpw*() calls (and what
about programs that are native to the operating system).

I know that somehow MIT has solved this problem ... but I've never
seen the code.

--Ken