[OpenAFS] mail spool on AFS

Jason Edgecombe jedgecombe@carolina.rr.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:04:38 -0500

Leif Johansson wrote:

> Paul Blackburn wrote:
>
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > POP, IMAP, and "STMP" (I guess you meant SMTP) are all protocols
> > for handling email across a network.
> >
> > However, if your email has been delivered to $HOME/.mail/mbox
> > and $HOME is in /afs then why do you need to use a network protocol
> > to access your mailbox?
> >
> > Most Mail User Agents (eg mutt, mh, elm, netscape/mozilla mail)
> > can be configured to read right out of a mailbox file rather than
> > connecting to a POP, IMAP etc server. That's how I have accessed my
> > email.

hi,

  sorry about the typo, I meant SMTP.
  The problem that I am referring to is not just in pine. Where I work,
all mail clients that accessed the mail spool directly, have been
changed to use IMAP.
  I'm using pine as an example. when modifying the mail spool, pine
would check for new mail first. In reality, new mail had come in, but
pine only saw the AFS cached copy (note: this is Transarc AFS). pine
would then alter the mail spool file and overwrite the file and any new
mail contained therein.

Sincerely,
Jason Edgecombe