RE[2]: [OpenAFS] vos command error while creating first AFS volume on Tru64 5.1A

Mattias Amnefelt mattiasa@e.kth.se
16 Apr 2002 01:16:57 +0200

Jean-Pierre Vorlet <Jean-Pierre.Vorlet@unifr.ch> writes:

> >could you exec the following command also:
> ># vos parti <server>
>
> 1) List partitions:
>
> $ ./vos listpar siuf.unifr.ch -noauth
> The partitions on the server are:
>     /vicepa
> Total: 1

In other words, the fileserver has found and attached to the partition.

> But still no idea why the "./vos create" command return I/O error !

Ok, here's a discusting advice, which has helped me occationaly. If you
unmount the filesystem and then dd zeros to the first megabyte or so of the
partition, and then create a new filesystem, it might work. I've seen this
work a few times, but every time I've seen it I've been too much in a hurry
to debug it :(

Before you try this you may want to look in the logs and possibly turn
debugging on in the volserver (send signal TSTP to the volserver process a
couple of times) and try to create a volume. Then please send the output
from that here. /usr/afs/logs/VolserLog is the relevant logfile, as Derrick
said.

Typical dd command is:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/dsk1c bs=1024k count=1

Make sure you do it on the correct device :)

/mattiasa