[OpenAFS] AFS, MIT Krb5, W2k

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:06:53 -0400

>This ends up to be a chicken and egg problem.  I would love to have the
>funding to be able to pay someone f/t or p/t to help our department with
>development, but we don't have that kind of money.  I could also propose to
>the higher-ups that we need a support contract for OpenAFS.  But I need to
>show proof of concept before I get the funding.  It seems to me that if
>there was an aklog easily available (read: no developer needed) that would
>work with ADS/MIT Kerberos setups, admins like myself would be able to
>promote the use of OpenAFS (read: buy support contract or hire developer)
>much more widely.

Understood ... I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting
into.

>Additionally, I am more than willing to learn how to compile this code for
>our purposes.  Any pointers?

Well ... it's a bit rough, but the source code for aklog is in the
AFS-Kerberos 5 migration kit.  Buy a copy of MS Visual C++ (I think now
it's called Visual C++.net, but it's just a newer version); that's $99
at your local CompUSA.  Install it, and run the Visual C++ command line
thing (it will be available from the menu).  It comes with "nmake"
which works with Makefiles like what you'd expect.  You'll also need
krb524.zip, which you can get from ftp://ftp.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/pub/kerberos5
(read the README and follow the directions to get to the hidden directory).
You'll have to poke around the aklog makefile to change it to you site.
(Read MAKE.WIN for more info).

This all assumes that you know the basics of Makefiles, make, and compiling
C programs under Unix.

--Ken