[OpenAFS] Home directory in AFS

Derek Atkins derek@ihtfp.com
20 Apr 2002 10:58:17 -0400

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@bayour.com> writes:

>     Derek> This doesn't help.  What are your AFS permissions?  What do
>     Derek> you get from: fs la /afs/bayour.com/user/
>
> Sorry, I'm still learning AFS :)

Yea.  I highly recommend you go read the AFS Intro Guide, or hire
someone to come teach you basic AFS stuff.

When you run "mkdir" in AFS, the new directory takes the ACL of the
parent.  You can change the ACL by using "fs setacl"; in order to do
this you need to:

        a) have 'a'dmin permission on the directory, or
        b) own the volume, or
        c) be a member of system:administrator

When you create a new volume, you can set the user to own the volume,
so they have implicit 'a' access on all its contents.  Then you can
specifically setacl the top-level to:

        fs setacl /afs/bayour.com/user/<username> <username> all \
                system:anyuser rl -clear

This will set the acl so that:

        a) the user has full access
        b) system:anyuser had 'r'ead and 'l'ist capabilities

> Home directories and User accounts are two separate issues... I can't
> think of ANY attack, exept 'tempfile rase conditions' (?)

Why do you think they are separate?  A home directory is very much
tied to a user account.  It's not like you're going to have a
_different_ home directory on _each_ machine, especially with AFS.
Don't you want to supply some default dotfiles, for instance?

>     Derek> How   do  you   provision  LDAP   with  a   user's  account
>     Derek> information?   How  do you  provision  Kerberos with  their
>     Derek> password?   However you  do  it, at  that  time you  should
>     Derek> create their AFS homedirectory:
>
> LibNSS-LDAP/LibPAM-LDAP. Same way that I whould have done it if I where
> running NIS/NIS+. I tell the NSS system that I should look in LDAP for
> hosts, users, groups etc...

You didn't answer my question.  How do you get the user account
information _INTO_ LDAP?

> Same way I do it now, in non-AFS space. ALL users share a 8Gb disk (my
> old 36Gb crashed, this is the temporary disk). IF I run out, I add
> a new disk (either using LVM or do Linear RAID). Both can be done more
> or less on a runtime basis (as long as no users is logged in :).

There are sites out there that are running multiple Terrabytes of data
in AFS.  There is NO WAY that could be managed as a single volume on a
single partition on a single machine!

>     Derek> Kerberos     (for user Authentication)
>     Derek> LDAP         (for user LOGIN information)
>     Derek> PTServer     (for AFS User/Group entries)
>
>     Derek> Yes, this is a duplication of data.  No, there is no way to
>     Derek> have PTServer look at LDAP.  Yes, you can programatically
>     Derek> get LDAP to feed data to PTServer.  No, I do not have the
>     Derek> code to do this.
>
> If we talk theory here (I asume you know the inner workings of the
> AFS daemons), would it be possible to 'remove' the PTServer, and have
> whatever software that talks to it, talk to a SLAPD/KDC instead to get
> the information needed?

No.

As I said, the KDC replaces the KAServer.  So, since you're running
MIT Kerberos you can replace (not run) the AFS KAServer.  However, the
PTServer is a different animal, and you cannot use LDAP in lieu.

> I know this is a FAQ/HOWTO, but the AFS documentation is _HUGE_ (!!!),
> and I just don't have the mental strength (I'm also lazy :) to read it
> from top to bottom. How is a user added to the PTServer?

pts createuser

(run 'pts help' for complete list of commands)

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins
       derek@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com