[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Backup Trouble (volume loss) on SuSE Linux 7.3 / Kernel 2.4.18

Carsten Tolkmit ctolkmit@tng.de
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:39:11 +0200

Hi,

we are still experience volume loss on our OpenAFS 1.2.3 servers during
backup. It seems that the vos backup destroys the structure of the
volumes so we end up with thousands of orphans (after bos salvage) in
the volumes.

The systems are running SuSE 7.3 with a self-built Linux Kernel 2.4.18
and are running OpenAFS 1.2.3. The /vicepx Partitions are plain ext2, as
are all client caches.

Someone some weeks ago suggested using the single threaded fileserver as
that seemed to be a threading issue (i don't remember who it was), so we
are running that one. But the problem persists.

Hardware faults can be excluded, since all stress tests on BOTH machines
run as smoothly as possible.

The volume corruption seems to take place during vos backup or vos dump
requests.

I would appreciate any help, since I am really running out of ideas and
would not like switching back to NFS since that proves to be a real
bottle neck here in network performance.

Best regards,
Carsten Tolkmit