[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Backup Trouble (volume loss) on SuSE Linux 7.3 / Kernel 2.4.18

Carsten Tolkmit ctolkmit@tng.de
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:52:56 +0200

Hi,

> Is anyone else seeing it? I have tried to do my best to reproduce
> this problem on Red Hat 7.2 (openafs 1.2.3, kernel 2.4.17), and
> have not seen a smallest problem. I have created two identical test
> volumes of 1 GB each, with 50000 files and tried "vos backup" and then
> "bos salvage" on one of the two volumes. No orphans, not a single bit
> lost, the two volumes remained identical after this operation.
>
> Could the problem be linked to the kernel version?
> Carsten, Balazs: could you come back one step to 2.4.17 and retry?

Well, it at least also occurs in kernel version 2.4.10, which is SuSE
7.3 default - that's why I upgraded to a self compiled kernel version
2.4.18.

And what's the problem worse: It's not really reproducable. At least not
by me. It's just that I end up restoring my homedirectories backup (and
I have several of them as the last backup is corrupted too after having
this problem) about every 1-2 weeks. And that's not very nice :-(

Best regards
and thanks for help,
Carsten