[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Backup Trouble (volume loss) on SuSE Linux 7.3 / Kernel 2.4.18

Carsten Tolkmit ctolkmit@tng.de
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:24:44 +0200

Hi,

>>Is anyone else seeing it? I have tried to do my best to reproduce
>>this problem on Red Hat 7.2 (openafs 1.2.3, kernel 2.4.17), and
>>have not seen a smallest problem. I have created two identical test
>>volumes of 1 GB each, with 50000 files and tried "vos backup" and then
>>"bos salvage" on one of the two volumes. No orphans, not a single bit
>>lost, the two volumes remained identical after this operation.
>>

> I assume this to be the infamous "CopyOnWrite" bug, but they'll have to
> look in their FileLogs to confirm it.

Ok - the following entries look interesting (to me, that is;-)):

Mon Apr 22 01:07:02 2002 CB: RCallBackConnectBack (host.c) failed for
host 213.178.69.42:7001
Mon Apr 22 09:02:27 2002 CopyOnWrite failed: volume 536871180 in
partition /vicepa  (tried reading 8192, read 0, wrote 0, errno 2) volume
needs salvage

The first host mentioned (69.42) was most probably offline during that
time.
The second is the CopyOnWrite message.

Neither of the two occurs during backup though. Backup is running from
22:55 to 23:55 (approx.)

Best regards,
and thank you,
Carsten