[OpenAFS] Home directory in AFS

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:21:59 -0400 (EDT)

On 22 Apr 2002, Derek Atkins wrote:

> > Yes, I'm much like you, but those times I've been 'sardonic' (I've
> > actually been worse) is when it clearly is in the FAQ/HOWTO. In this
> > case (OpenAFS/AFS in general) the manual is 6-700 pages long! I just
> > can't read that much without straining a vessel :)
>
> Then perhaps you should go spend $2k and take an AFS class, or hire
> someone to come in and show you / teach you how AFS works?  If you
> can't spend the time to learn at least the very basics about how a
> complicated system like AFS works, why should you expect free support?

We (the OpenAFS community) need a simple "using OpenAFS in my environment"
document, not a setup guide but a what to do once it's running guide. Not
everyone, especially small non-profits that might want to use OpenAFS (and
may well be able to take advantage of some of its features) will have the
money to hire a consultant or send someone to take a class.

For those who teach such classes or do such consulting this might even
help their business: more people using the software and gaining
familiarity with it may carry it with them to "real jobs" and create a
need for this help, but that's really beside the point.

-D