[OpenAFS] Recommendations?

Dj Merrill deej@thayer.dartmouth.edu
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:33:36 -0400

Michael Aldrich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will be creating an AFS network when the newest version of AFS
> (1.2.4) is available. My question is: Which is the 'better' platform
> to run AFS servers on? My choices are Solaris 2.6 (on a SUN Ultra 10)
> or any version of RedHat Linux (on a Dell PowerEdge 1300). It will not
> be a large network, approximately ten client machines (Which will run
> RedHat Linux). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>

> Michael Aldrich
> Jr. Database Administrator
> ReserveAmerica  NY
> Tel: 518.885.4282 Ext.2830
> Toll Free: 1.888.226.7697
> maldrich@ReserveAmerica.com <mailto:maldrich@ReserveAmerica.com>

Hi Michael,
    All of our servers here are Dell machines (2450, 2550 rack mounts)
running
Redhat 7.1.  We currently have 4 OpenAFS file servers, and they seem to
be working great serving
our AFS clients (Irix, Linux, Windows).  IMHO it is also easier to only
deal with one OS rather than two.
Given that you have the choice, I would select the Redhat Linux on your
server as well as your clients.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill                          Thayer School of Engineering
ThUG Sr. Unix Systems Administrator 8000 Cummings Hall

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."   - Anonymous