[OpenAFS] newbie question

Leif Johansson leifj@it.su.se
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:07:00 +0200

Martin wrote:

> Very briefly :
>

> What is the relationship, if any,  between AFS, OpenLDAP and NFS?

None. There are nfs<->afs gateways but you should try to stay away from
that. LDAP is
not used by AFS directly.

> How are they "layered" in terms of installation? How do they interact
> with each other?

If you are trying to build a user management system using LDAP there are
several ways to
do that. Personally I favour the simple approach where the directory and
AFS databases are
synchronized but not directly linked.

Various people have experimented with the LDAP support in Heimdal (a
common kerberos
implementation) but that only gets you 1/3rd of the way since AFS has
its own view of groups
and users which must be kept in sync with both the kdc (kerberos server)
and whatever way
your unix and windows computers get their account information (NIS,
/etc-files, Active Directory,
LDAP, etc etc).

> These are very basic inquiries to establish the relationship between
> these programs to facilitate a full implementation of AFS but we are
> not sure yet how AFS fits in.

AFS is a filesystem!