[OpenAFS] newbie question

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 19:35:08 +0200

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 08:53:15AM -0700, Martin wrote:

> What is the relationship, if any,  between AFS, OpenLDAP and NFS?

There is no direct relationship or dependence.

> How are they "layered" in terms of installation? How do they interact
> with each other?

AFS is generally considered to be superiour to NFS.

> These are very basic inquiries to establish the relationship between
> these programs to facilitate a full implementation of AFS but we are
> not sure yet how AFS fits in.

If you use AFS, you usually don't need NFS any more. LDAP can be used
for user metadata (Name, Home directory etc.) but AFS still needs it's
own database for user->AFS-UID mapping and group membership.

> ---
> This e-mail is certified Virus Free. So you can't blame me if your
> computer is acting weird.

This is ridiculous. Correct would be: "Has been scanned for known
viruses."

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/