[OpenAFS] Some questions about the future of OpenAFS

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:42:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> The beauty of AFS is its simplicity. I like the coherent unit concept, it
> keeps it simple. You could always have multiple cells. The question is then
> what do you gain by having to authenticte to different servers in the same
> cell? If you are going to try and base some authorization decision on this,
> i.e. some users can only authenticte to some servers, the complexity goes
> up very fast. (Another way to maybe achieve this is multiple cells.)

Actually, the goal is to allow different people to control different
servers, without having to give them all the AFS key, yet still let them
all be in a single cell. If there were a way to do delegation in PTS (true
remote references) this wouldn't matter, but it has its own barriers to
implementation.