[OpenAFS] OpenAFS, SMP and stability

Alf Wachsmann alfw@SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Thu, 01 Aug 2002 07:42:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Helge Bahmann wrote:
> How stable is OpenAFS-client on Linux-SMP systems? We are having lots of
> trouble with this, processes accessing /afs get stuck in D state
> regularly after few days of uptime; as soon as this happens, every process
> touching afs (even just calling "tokens") will freeze. It appears however
> that the rest of the machine is well and alive.

We have seen _a lot_ of problems with all OpenAFS versions on SMP
machines.

The upcoming 1.2.6 looks very promising: so far we were not able to hang
rc1 or rc2.

-- Alf.

  Alf Wachsmann                       | e-mail: alfw@slac.stanford.edu
  SLAC Computing Service              | Phone:  +1-650-926-4802
  2575 Sand Hill Road, M/S 97         | FAX:    +1-650-926-3329
  Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA           | Office: Bldg. 50/323
                http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~alfw (PGP)