AW: AW: [OpenAFS] Severe Performance Issue with SCSI!

Rubino Geiß kb44@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:54:58 +0200

First of all some remarks on the "its the network " theory:

	- we tested SCSI as well as IDE performance with several
computers and several network adapters and different versions of radhat
linux. We never saw that an SCSI backed AFS sever is nearly as fast as
an IDE backed AFS sever with similar benchmarks that operate on small
files and did heavy writing. When files get very large (>10 ... 100 MB)
_AND_ we are only reading SCSI dominates;  but this is the only case it
does so.

	-> I belief that this observation cannot be easily explained by
misconfigured network! Why would only system that contain have a
/vicepxx mounted on a SCSI disk be affected?!

And now for the tests:

	-> Our performance tests consists of compiling real programs
(internal development) with javac (1.4) using ant and gcc using make for
building. We did a make all / make clean cycle several times and counted
user / sys  / wall clock. We uses a warm cache (several test performed
were done before we really counted). Here is what we saw:

					ant clean		ant all
AFS:
SCSI (10k rpm			22			32
IDE (5400 rpm) 			10			16
IDE (7200 rpm)			7			15
SCSI (Digital Alpha, 10MBit)	9			16

ext3:
IDE (5400 rpm)			3			9

	- We get less than 1 Mbit/sec performance in any case (for AFS).
A network monitor show that network traffic is about 100 ... 350
kBit/sec.

	- Even more interesting is what we heard and saw when we looked
at our servers: SCSI severs made almost constant noise and disk lights
where constant on; the router showed little traffic utilization (< 8%).
When we did the test on IDE backed AFS severs the disk lights went on
only in a sparse pattern -- Especially when deleting files.

	-> How can this be explained? Not really with network problems,
right? Maybe it's the difference between the semantics of write and
flush in SCSI and IDE driver / disks / AFS???

--------------------------------------

We took some measurements with "postmark" from netapp.

Here is what we saw:
	Current configuration is:
	The base number of files is 1000
	Transactions: 50000
	Files range between 500 bytes and 9.77 kilobytes in size
	Working directory:
      	  /xxxxxx (weight=1)
	Block sizes are: read=512 bytes, write=512 bytes
	Biases are: read/append=5, create/delete=5
	Using Unix buffered file I/O
	Random number generator seed is 42
	Report format is verbose.

			transa	read 			write
AFS:
Server SCSI       69		222.09 k/s		232.06 k/s
Server IDE        59		191.66 k/s		200.25 k/s
Server SCSI		45		147.34 k/s		153.94
k/s
(Digital Alpha, 10MBit)

NFS:
Server SCSI		122		396.67 k/s		414.46
k/s

ext3:
Local disk IDE	2272		7.32 M/s		7.65 M/s

What shall we expect? As we introduced AFS we hoped that a slowdown by
50 ... 150 % but as you can see we got > 1000%

In this benchmark SCSI doesn't seen to be too bad, but that's not what
we got by our own benchmarks. (see above)

Remark: All of our Ethernet cards are on auto negotiation, for sure.
Remark: changing the MTU on server an client leave the performance
unchanged.

I hope someone got a clue?

Bye, ruby