[OpenAFS] AFS over NAT

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
05 Aug 2002 16:24:03 -0400

Having an AFS client behind a NAT is relatively easy, provided your
UDP timeouts are set high enough so that the server callbacks don't
get destroyed.  Having an AFS _server_ behind a NAT -- well, that can
be problematic.  First, you can only have one server.  Second, you
still have the timeout issue.  Third, you have to redirect all AFS UDP
access from the NAT box to the server.  Fourth, you need the server to
advertise its 'NAT' address (i.e. the external address) so clients can
contact the server.  This last part is probably the most difficult.

-derek