[OpenAFS] db server upgrade from 1.2.5 to 1.2.6

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:51:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Dave McMurtrie wrote:

> We're running 3 OpenAFS 1.2.5 database servers on Solaris 8.  In light of
> the xdr_array() stuff, we're planning an upgrade to 1.2.6.
>
> I'm trying to determine if I can do this as a rolling upgrade or if I have
> to take our cell down to accomplish it.  Basically, for an upgrade from
> 1.2.5 to 1.2.6, do I still have to abide by the "every db server must run
> the identical version" rule?

For purposes of discussion, AFS 3.5, 3.6 and all OpenAFS versions so far
are "identical" with respect to database servers.

I kicked mine randomly during the day as I got bored.

> On a related note, I'll be tackling our fileserver machines next.  From
> what I've read, fileserver is not vulnerable but volserver is.  Do clients
> interact directly with volserver?

No. Anyone may (with vos) but your users do not in the course of accessing
their files.