[OpenAFS] AFS over NAT

Leif Johansson leifj@it.su.se
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 15:28:41 +0200

Derek Atkins wrote:

>This wouldn't work if you encrypt the RPCs, becuase this AFS-NAT box
>would have to change the _contents_ of a number of the RPCs instead of
>just being a forwarder.  The filserver would still be advertising the
>wrong IP, and that would need to get fixed.

Or you give your AFS-NAT enough keys to decrypt-modify-encrypt the RPCs.

>The right approach is to not use NAT...  Or use ipv6 (not that AFS
>supports that, yet, but getting AFS to support ipv6 is probably a more
>useful use of your time than creating a NAT filter that can't work).

I believe most applications on the internet should find a way to work both
with NATs and ipv6. There will probably be lots of NATs around long after
ipv6 is widely deployed!

For instance: can you place replica fileservers behind a NAT used in
front of a
cluster while the "rest" of the cell sits outside?

        MVH leifj