[OpenAFS] vos syncvldb

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:56:06 -0500 (CDT)

> can someone please explain me, how and when these
> vos synvlcb
> vos syncserv
> are used?

Use them when the volumes on a physical partition aren't the same as
what's in the vldb.  Normally, this shouldn't happen, but if it does, you
need to be able to fix it.

> I tried to create and remove several volumes a few times and came a bit
> in trouble with the vldb.

Generally, you'll want to run "syncvldb", because the VLDB is in error.
Running "syncserv" can be dangerous, in that it will start zapping
volumes.

> On which servers is the vldb housed? only on the database-management servers
> or on the file-servers as well?

The "vlserver" bos service is your VLDB server.  You can run it wherever
you like.

[ t charles clancy ]--[ tclancy@uiuc.edu ]--[ www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy ]