[OpenAFS] New OpenAFS Cell: lns.mit.edu

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
09 Aug 2002 00:16:41 +0200

J Maynard Gelinas <gelinas@lns.mit.edu> writes:

>   Hi folks,
>
>   Our test cell has gone production! I've just finished mirgating most of
> the linux clients at the MIT Laboratory For Nuclear Science to
> OpenLDAP+krb5+AFS and except for a few hiccups it's been quite stable.
> Currently we have three database servers and five file servers. The File
> servers are IA32 host + SCSI RAID going SX fiber Gb or Gb/TP hung off of
> Cisco 4000s and one 6000, separated by buildings throughout the lab.
> Clients go 100Mb directly to each switch. Performance is *quite good*. :)
>
>   Thanks and kudos to the many OpenAFS developers and technical writers
> who provided the tools necessary to make this happen. :)
>
>   So, how do I get our new cell included in the distribution CellServDB?
>
>    Specifics:
>
>    Kerberos:
>    kdc = kerberos.lns.mit.edu:88
>    kdc = kerberos-1.lns.mit.edu:88
>    kdc = kerberos-2.lns.mit.edu:88
>    admin_server = kerberos.lns.mit.edu:749

Since you put up your cnanes right everything will work fine.

>    AFS:
>    >lns.mit.edu                    #MIT/LNS Cell
>    198.125.160.133                 #afsdb1.lns.mit.edu.
>    198.125.162.11                  #afsdb2.lns.mit.edu.
>    198.125.161.19                  #afsdb3.lns.mit.edu.

You dont have an AFSDB-record.
I do belive that DNS is better than {HOSTS.TXT,CellServDB}.

$ dig AFSDB lns.mit.edu | grep AFSDB
; <<>> DiG 9.1.3 <<>> AFSDB lns.mit.edu
;lns.mit.edu.                   IN      AFSDB

It should look like this:

$ dig AFSDB openafs.org | grep AFSDB
; <<>> DiG 9.1.3 <<>> AFSDB openafs.org
;openafs.org.                   IN      AFSDB
openafs.org.            3593    IN      AFSDB   1 virtue.openafs.org.

At my site we will very soon just put sites in our root.afs that have a
valid AFSDB-record. We will then have an empty CellServDB-file, which i
think i an good idea.

/Jimmy