[OpenAFS] new (old) user, panic on linux 2.4.18-5smp

Christopher A. Petro petro@boredom.org
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:15:32 -0400

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:08:01PM -0400, Christopher A. Petro wrote:
> I just downloaded and compiled 1.2.6 on an up-to-date red hat 7.3 install
> (2.4.18-5smp).  After a couple of minor hiccups (not the least of which
> was halfway rewriting rc.linux to use the non-transarc paths) I got it
> working.  After setting up the acls on root.afs and root.cell and creating
> and mounting a few volumes, I started getting stale NFS file handle errors.
> I took a look in the logs and found that I was hitting kernel bugs.

I'll follow myself up here by first admitting to being a cvs idiot.  I
wasn't sure how to get a list of branches.  I noticed webcvs listed them
at the bottom of the page, though, and grabbed the openafs-stable-1_2_6
branch and rebuilt.  I've copied about 2.5GB of stuff onto the existing
volumes and it seems much happier than it was.  The only problems I had
were a couple of mounts I had made disappearing.  I re-mkmounted them,
released, and it all seems happy again.

I'd still like advice on whether I should stick with stable or use a
more recent development version.  Thanks.