[OpenAFS] Windows port status?

Rhett Butler rbutler@duke.edu
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:53:17 -0400

Sure.  Use the command line utilities...  You should be able to wrap all
of the authentication and drive mapping into scripts.

> I haven't really used the Win-client, but I remember that you
> have to provide complete AFS-paths which would be mapped to drives.
>
> Imagine 1500 users where every path is of the form
> /afs/cell/home/$user. I want windows to use this as the
> home-directory/drive.
>
> Under CIFS (SMB/Samba), netlogon does the stuff and even
> NFS-Clients could do so. Is there a more generic way than
> providing the individual path inside a profile-stored
> config-File for the AFS-Client?

Sure...  Again, use scripts with username variables.  Once you have your
base mount configured, it's easy to establish other drive mappings using
the Windows "net" command.  Determine who's logged in to the system
(simple %username% variable, or WSH network enirvonment) and pass that
info via script in your "net use" commands.  I can provide examples if
you'd like to see what this looks like... using VBScript. Perl should
work just as well if you have Perl installed on your clients.

-Rhett

       Rhett Butler           |   OIT - Systems and Core Services
   phone: 919.660.7080        |   Duke University, 417 North Building
     fax: 919.660.7029        |   Box 90132, Durham, NC  27708-0132
 mail: rhett.butler@duke.edu  |   http://www.duke.edu/~rbutler/