[OpenAFS] Red Hat Linux beta kernel implements AFS?

Rudolph T Maceyko rtm@cert.org
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:04:18 -0400

While looking over the latest beta of Red Hat Linux, I found this
interesting item:

> Kernel Notes
  .
  .
  .
>    The kernel in this beta contains a preliminary code drop of a new
> implementation of the AFS network file system. Please note that this
> implementation is not complete and this feature may be removed in the
> final release.

I'm just looking at it now, but I don't see any other documentation
about it yet.  Perhaps if I install their kernel-source RPM I'll see
more information about this.  I was able to find some references to
xfs/Arla in the kernel-docs RPM, so maybe that's all this comment is
really about.

The note piqued my curiosity even more once I found that stock
openafs-1.2.6 won't run:

[root@osgood i386]# insmod /usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.18-11-i686.o
/usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.18-11-i686.o: unresolved symbol
sys_call_table
/usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.18-11-i686.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
      and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
      assistance, only they can help you.

Any thoughts?  It compiled just fine once I switched back to
autoconf-2.13.  Really, it was just aklog & asetkey which didn't get
built due to an autoconfig problem:

  .
  .
  .
+ cd openafs-krb5-1.3/src
+ autoconf
configure.in:109: error: AC_LANG: unknown language:
autoconf/lang.m4:124: _AC_LANG_SET is expanded from...
autoconf/lang.m4:133: AC_LANG is expanded from...
aclocal.m4:68: AC_FIND_LIB is expanded from...
configure.in:109: the top level
+ exit 0
  .
  .
  .

Hmm...  it probably choked on LANG=en_US.UTF-8...

Rudy