[OpenAFS] Moving AFS {pt,vl,vol?}server

Turbo Fredriksson turbo@bayour.com
21 Aug 2002 08:25:30 +0200

As many have read (?) I'm building two replacement Kerberos/LDAP
servers that's to take over the job of being (login) database servers
for my site. ALL (login) database services (kerberos, LDAP, AFS)
is to be moved OF the current one, and INTO the two new ones.

There's one quirck yet though. I still have to keep the FILEserver
on the current one, because the new machines are SPARC's with SCA
disks (and they cost AN ARM AND A LEGG or two :) here in Sweden...
So only the DB is to move...

Kerberos and LDAP moved without problem.

Now it's time to move AFS. These are the steps I've taken so far
(on the first replacement):

----- s n i p -----
1. Modify server configurations
   /etc/openafs/server/CellServDB
        Add the new/added AFS servers
   /etc/openafs/server/UserList
        Add the admin

2. Copy over the KeyFile to /etc/openafs/server/
   Hopfully this isn't byte order dependent.

3. Modify the client configurations
   /etc/openafs/CellServDB
        Add the new/added AFS servers
   /etc/openafs/afs.conf
        Verify correctness
   /etc/openafs/afs.conf.client
        Verify correctness
        Run client (true/false)?
   /etc/openafs/cacheinfo
        Now much cache?
        Cache location?

4. Copy the DB to /var/lib/openafs
   rcp -xr original:/var/lib/openafs/db /var/lib/openafs
----- s n i p -----

In /var/lib/openafs on the original, there's to at least
two files I'm not sure if I should copy over - 'SALVAGE.fs'
and 'sysid' - should these be regenerated on the new machines?

And another thing. Is the KeyFile byte order dependent? The
two new machines are SPARC (sun4m), while the original is a
dual PII 333MHz (ie Intel).

I've tried to start the OpenAFS fileserver (Debian GNU/Linux
init script 'openafs-fileserver') and I was hopping that all
the DB servers (pt,vl)servers should have been started.
They where not, only the bosserver started.

What did I miss?
--
767 Uzi Saddam Hussein AK-47 fissionable North Korea assassination
Ortega toluene Iran Kennedy Honduras South Africa security 747