R: [OpenAFS] Where is runntp?

craigev@us.ibm.com craigev@us.ibm.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:29:42 -0400

--0__=0ABBE688DFDC8E888f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBE688DFDC8E88

"runntp" existed for two reasons:
      - most AFS users didn't know anything about ntp back in 1985
      - it was the day's "ntpd" that wouldn't detach itself, so that it
could be run under bosserver.

Clearly there are better implementations of the NTP protocol around these
days that are freely available.  The only thing missing is the ability to
start and stop ntp daemons via bosserver, should that be really important
to you.  There may well be a way to start, say, xntpd so that it doesn't
detach itself.  Please do NOT bother to try to run daemons under bosserver
that detach themselves from their parents; you'll just frustrate yourself
as the bosserver starts an instance, only to have it detach itself;
bosserver starts other instances as well, and depending on the daemon, the
excess instances of the daemon will run into each other or will hang around
on the server.  I think the bosserver will stop trying to fork additional
copies of the daemon after about 10 tries.

            Craig

On Tuesday, 08/20/2002 at 11:28 ZE2, "Emiliano Bruni" <bruni@micso.it>
wrote:
> you say that i should:
>
> - "bos delete machine_name -instance /usr/afs/bin/runntp -cell cellname"
> - enable ntpd service boot startup using "chkconfig ntpd on"
> - add "ntpdate afs_server_name " to clients crontable to sync time every
> minutes
>
> or is there a better way to configure ntpd (client and server) using bos?
>
> >You don't need it. Use ntp instead - it is newer and probably better.
> >runntp was once included because (x)ntp&co were not yet widely used (or
> >not available or more complicated or so).
--0__=0ABBE688DFDC8E888f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBE688DFDC8E88

	- most AFS users didn't know anything about ntp back in 1985<br>
	- it was the day's &quot;ntpd&quot; that wouldn't detach itself, so that it could be run under bosserver.<br>
Clearly there are better implementations of the NTP protocol around these days that are freely available.  The only thing missing is the ability to start and stop ntp daemons via bosserver, should that be really important to you.  There may well be a way to start, say, xntpd so that it doesn't detach itself.  Please do NOT bother to try to run daemons under bosserver that detach themselves from their parents; you'll just frustrate yourself as the bosserver starts an instance, only to have it detach itself; bosserver starts other instances as well, and depending on the daemon, the excess instances of the daemon will run into each other or will hang around on the server.  I think the bosserver will stop trying to fork additional copies of the daemon after about 10 tries.<br>
		Craig<br>
On Tuesday, 08/20/2002 at 11:28 ZE2, &quot;Emiliano Bruni&quot; &lt;bruni@micso.it&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; you say that i should:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; - &quot;bos delete machine_name -instance /usr/afs/bin/runntp -cell cellname&quot;<br>
&gt; - enable ntpd service boot startup using &quot;chkconfig ntpd on&quot;<br>
&gt; - add &quot;ntpdate afs_server_name &quot; to clients crontable to sync time every n<br>
&gt; minutes<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; or is there a better way to configure ntpd (client and server) using bos?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt;You don't need it. Use ntp instead - it is newer and probably better.<br>
&gt; &gt;runntp was once included because (x)ntp&amp;co were not yet widely used (or<br>
&gt; &gt;not available or more complicated or so).<br>
--0__=0ABBE688DFDC8E888f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBE688DFDC8E88--