[OpenAFS] Moving AFS {pt,vl,vol?}server

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
22 Aug 2002 11:09:18 -0400

Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> when _I_ tried using a V4 ticket of the form afs.cell@REALM, it Simply
> Didn't Work.  That's why Doug Engert put the original magic in krb524d,

Yea, the v4 naming rules were rather finicky about it.  ISTR that
you have to type things like:

        afs.athena\.mit\.edu@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

to get the proper quoting of the periods..  So yes, there was som
black-magic to apply to get it to work.  And also, Transarc did _NOT_
support the afs.cell@REALM where cell != REALM.  (It did support
afs.cell@CELL, certainly as early as 1992).

I remember, around 1990, we had a user (I think her name was Andrea
F... S..) and she chose the obvious username: afs.  Needless to say,
AFS treated this user's principal "specially" and she wound up with
system administrator priviledges.  ;)

Luckily AFS was still experimental at the time, and was only in use
for some projects and as a playpen.  The username has since been
disabled.  I don't know if AFS was ever patched to deal properly.

-derek